Thursday, April 26, 2007

Carnivore, Vegetarian, Flexitarian...

...I've been them all! Right now I am definitely a flexitarian, which really is a carnivore with vegetarian inclinations.

Barbara asked recently what the story was behind our meat-eating ways with vegetarian children. So here goes:

Both Clayton and I were raised on meat within the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, which encourages a healthy vegetarian diet. Since most of our SDA friends were vegetarians, the idea of being vegetarian has never been foreign to us. We were eating fake meat substitutes when fake meat substitutes weren't cool.

I began my first stint of vegetarianism when I was in my teens. Some stints have lasted longer than others. Being raised on meat has made it hard at times to stay away since I have taste for it. My reasons for being vegetarian have always been health centered--my latest stint was a result of the mad cow reported in Canada in December of 2003. I was vegetarian until I got pregnant with Juliet and craved meat, meat, MEAT! So off the wagon again...and I am still eating meat. I plan on giving vegetarianism a try again after I give birth with #3.

I wanted to raise our children vegetarian for health reasons, too. I wanted to give them the choice of eating meat when they really understand what they are doing; in the meantime, I can raise them without developing the taste for it. Also, I didn't want to rely on easy kids' meals: chicken fingers, hamburgers, etc. The lack of meat in their diet has actually given them a more experienced palate, I think; and I substitute the meat with healthy alternatives--lentils, beans of all shapes, and veggies. Believe me, there are times when it would be so easy to just feed them some meat; but overall, I think the challenge has been good for me and them.

Aside from my pregnancy meat-eating frenzy, I rarely eat meat. We hardly ever have it at home and only really eat it when we eat out. While I hope to be a practicing vegetarian again soon, Clayton in no way will ever be one. He is one with the meat! But he does support what I am doing with the kids. And, I will say, Goode Co. Barbeque in Houston is what can bring me down every time. Oh, you delicious brisket...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angela,
how are you going to make Barbara's chicken dish without the chicken? What will you be using in its place?

We had it last night and we both enjoyed it. We also had sauteed spinach in butter, olive oil and garlic and an iceberg lettuce and spinach salad and french bread with garlic butter. I was quite proud of myself. Ice cream was for dessert. I'll be on my new exercise bike every day for a while after that meal. Thanks Barbara!

Barbara said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Thanks, Angela, for the explanation. I had been wondering for awhile. It makes sense and how great that you are raising your kids to be such good eaters. My kids are definitely meat eaters, as our my husband and I (although we tend to eat more chicken and fish than red meat, but we certainly eat our share of meat as well), but one thing I vowed early on to do was not raise kids who would only eat chicken nuggets, burgers or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. My kids much prefer to order off the adult menus at restaurants, not so much because they want to eat a bigger meal, but because they like things like pasta dishes, chicken dishes, salmon and other stuff that you never find on a kids menu. I've found that restaurants will usually charge you a reduced price for a reduced sized entree for kids who don't want to get the standard kid fare off the kids menu!

I agree that vegetarian eating is so healthy and I have a lot of vegetarian recipes that I used to make and one time I took a vegan cooking class. Maybe I'll dust off some of those recipes!

Kristin said...

Angela-

Loved your explanation for occasional meat eating parents with vegetarian kids...that is the story of my life!! People ALWAYS ask me that same question.

Our kids are vegetarians...but they do eat eggs, and dairy... When we had our oldest, Reilly, there were tons of things in the news about kids dying from tainted hamburgers etc and it really freaked us out. I have also always been drawn to the vegetarian life style...I think it is so healthy. Plus we wanted kids who would eat vegetables and fruit...not just beg for fast food etc.

It has worked out really well for us. We almost never eat meat at home and like you usually only order it when we go out...if we're going to eat meat it has to be GOOD!! Like you I think our kids have a more experienced palate as well. We have kids who love spicy foods...even our 2 1/2 year old...and a variety of fruits and vegetables...How many kids beg their mom to make Brussel Sprouts? For Christmas instead of oranges in their stockings they requested pomagranates! It's hilarious.

Tyler and I wanted our kids to be critical thinkers. When they are older they can choose to eat meat if they want but they will THINK about it when they do...and will hopefully make good healthy decisions. I think our kids even now think about what they are eating rather than just stuffing food in their mouths because it is there.

Some people think we are crazy...they love to point out that Spinach can be tainted too! But it's really gone beyond all that...I feel so much better when I'm not eating meat.

Glad to hear we aren't alone!