Tuesday, April 03, 2007

You Know You're an Adventist If...

...you eat haystacks with your family and have the inside knowledge that you are not eating hay. But you don't have to be an Adventist to enjoy this easy delectable dinner. I don't know whether an Adventist invented the haystack, but one should have, considering how we SDAs rever the dish like its caviar. Anyway, for those of you not familiar, here it is:

Starting with a base of Fritos, layer the following:
Hot pinto beans with a little, but not too much, bean juice (mmm)
Shredded cheddar cheese
Shredded lettuce
Chopped tomatoes and onions
Guacamole and sour cream
Salsa

Okay, so you've probably eaten this under the guise of "Frito Pie" or "Taco Salad." So maybe it isn't that original. So even if we Adventists didn't invent the haystack, I think we invented the cornflake--along with a few other flakes along the way... Some may argue putting the cheese before the beans, whatever. The beauty of it is this: it is your haystack. Do what you want.

So this is what we had for dinner:

Haystacks with all the fixin's
Strawberries and blueberries

You?

7 comments:

Natalie said...

We're moving and Brandon's working tonight, so the boys requested cheese sandwiches (like Aunt Jeni makes). So we had honey wheat bread, miracle whip, and colby jack cheese from the deli. Paired with some pita chips and grapes, it was really like having lunch instead of dinner....

So glad to discover this blog again! I don't get to cook much right now so maybe I'm feeling a little guilty or something :)

Barbara said...

I cooked up a storm yesterday and today for the Passover holidays. We had 12 people last night and 20 (!) tonight. I'll list what was on the menu (a TON) and am happy to provide recipes for anyone interested - just let me know. Most of it is really easy stuff. I cooked all day, but that's b/c I made so much different stuff. None of it was hard. My kids were AWESOME and helped cook (they did a lot of the chopping, egg peeling, etc) and did all the table setting, making placecards, etc.

Here's what we had (in order)

During the seder:

-Charosets, which is a salad dish with chopped apples, chopped walnuts and cinnamon
-hard boiled eggs
-gefilte fish
-avocado/tomato salad
-cucumber/red onion salad
-hummus (store bought)
-eggplant salad (store bought)
-matza

then:

-homemade chicken noodle soup (put Kosher chickens, a few carrot halves, a few celery halves, a parsnip, a turnip and an onion cut into fourths in a pot of water with 1 cube of chicken bullion and simmer ALL DAY
-matza balls (I use the box mix)

then the meal:

-beef brisket (moist, tender and delicious. Put in roasting pan with carrots, celery and onion, cover with a sauce of 1 lg can of tomato sauce, a little bit of honey and 1 pkt of lipton onion soup mix), bake at 325 for 1 hr per pound)
-apricot chicken (just regular chicken parts baked in a sauce of 2 cans apricot halves, 1 can Kerns apricot nectar, 1 jar apricot jelly and some raisins)
-potato kugel (I use the box mix)
-matza stuffing
-spinach souffle
-steamed carrots

For dessert:

-homemade Passover brownies (for Passover you can't use any flour or leavened product. these are made with butter, sugar, cocoa and eggs and are so good!)
-fresh strawberries
-cool whip

I pretty much served the same thing both days. Someone brought a fruit salad yesterday and someone brought some different desserts today.

I'm EXHAUSTED from cooking all day for two days, but it was a wonderful holiday with lots of good yummy food.

Anonymous said...

I love the parsnip idea in the chicken soup!

It was a very long day for me but not in the kitchen! I had dinner at a friend's house...
She made a yummy macaroni tomato beef cheese bake and salad. I don't usually touch beef but her seasoning disguises it well ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and IF you are really good Adventist, you put cashew pimento cheese sauce on your haystack. I haven't even been anything of the sort since I am a born again nothingtist, but I grew up surrounded by the best of them...hahahahahahaha...the "nut" cheese is pretty good though...and would you believe my Adventist mother used to celebrate the Passover...

angela | the painted house said...

Barbara! I am amazed! That was A LOT of cooking. I would be interested in more details on the apricot chicken. How lucky your guests were to celebrate at your house!

Okay, Bonnie, cashew pimento cheese sauce...? Ew. Does the person who makes haystacks with this sauce still eat the greasy, fatty Fritos? Just wondering. Perhaps you and I should discuss your issues over a good cottage cheese loaf? Ha. :)

Kristin said...

Tonight we are eating our old stand-by...the Naked Burrito. This is seriously a family favorite. Layer in a bowl...rice, refried beans (or beans of your choice), cheese, sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro...eat a little fruit on the side and voila...dinner is served.

The mexican haystacks sound good. I will have to give them a try...anything with Fritos has to be delicious right? We always make Hawaiian Haystacks: rice, shredded chicken with some cream of chick soup mixed in (or no meat and cream of celery soup), cheese,tomatoes, pineapple, almonds, green onions, chinese chow mein noodles, coconut, (you can really add anything you like).

You've gotta love haystacks!! :)

Anonymous said...

no...more like a low fat corn pastry cut into cracker style chips...actually tastier than it sounds ;) But your loaf is a date!