Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Cinnamon Nut Cake

I didn't cook tonight--went on a date with my boy. But I did make Cinnamon Nut Cake today for the Haywood County Art Council tonight. My mother has made this cake for years, and I also count it as one of my favorite stand-by recipes. It's easy because it's a cake mix and I always have the ingredients on hand.

Cinnamon Nut Cake

Cake:
1 yellow cake mix
1 cup oil
1/2 cup water
4 eggs
1 T cinnamon
3 T brown sugar
1 cup finely chopped pecans

Combine first 6 ingredients until blended. Fold in pecans. Bake in bundt pan for 45-55 minutes at 350.

Glaze:
2 T butter
1 T flour
1/8 t salt
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 t vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted

Melt butter on stove and then add flour and salt. Add milk and stir constantly. Remove from heat once mixture is bubbly and thick. Add brown sugar and vanilla. Add powdered sugar. Drizzle on top of cooled cake. Top with chopped or whole pecans.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds divine! what is in the air, that we both got creative with cinnamon and nuts?...pecans to be precise? Actually I used pecans and almonds both and made spiced nuts...

the nuts and a little egg white
combined with sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg....

toasted in the oven for 30 minutes. I got the idea from the Renaissance Festival where they toast them outside and the scent wafts over the festival...and then I kind of used Betty Crocker's recipe as a guideline...
We should make National spiced nuts day where anything with spices and nuts goes...

I truly think this stems from a twisted sense of us humans always wanting a piece of something unattainable - a craving for Fall comforts in Spring...but with a spring like we have all had, who wouldn't be looking for a little comfort?

Peggy said...

Delicious! I haven't made that (or anything else) in awhile. No wonder Robin keeps asking me if we have any pecan pie left, his way of telling me I haven't baked in awhile.

Barbara said...

All these recipes sound great. I haven't been cooking - we were out of town for over a week. Lots of meals out and at people's houses.

We're trying to decide if we want to move from Southern California (Orange County, Irvine to be specific) to Urbana Champaign, Illinois (3 hrs from Chicago). My husband, who is a professor at UC Irvine, has an offer from Univ of Illinois. They're fighting to get him, UCI is fighting to keep him. Sounds like a good position to be in, but really isn't b/c we have to make this terribly tough decision.

They flew all 5 of us out to check out the area, schools, homes, neighborhoods, activities, etc.

We liked it and it looks like a really nice place to raise a family. But Irvine is also a really nice place to raise a family. So we're torn.

Anyone who knows anything about the area who wants to give any input, it'd be welcomed!

Barbara

angela | the painted house said...

Barbara-

You've been missed!

So your husband is a wanted man! I don't know specifics about either location, but I wish you the best! Moving mid-way cross country is no small deal--good luck!