Sunday, April 01, 2007

Corn Scones

I make these a lot with chili and soup. Bonnie, our resident Brit, please correct us all on the proper pronunication of "scones."

3 1/2 cups flour
2 T baking powder
1 t dry mustard
1/2 t salt
3/4 cup cold butter
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (15 ounces) cream-style corn
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 T milk

Combine flour, baking powder, mustard and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese, corn and eggs until a soft dough forms. Turn onto a floured board, kneading 10-12 times or until dough is no longer sticky. Roll out to 1-inch thickness; cut with a 2-1/2 cutter or into wedges. Place on cookie sheet and brush with milk. Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

These can go into the freezer before baking--for easy prep later. Just pop frozen scones in the oven for alotted time. These cook fast, so keep an eye on them. I usually take them out at 18 minutes or so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm, this will put my creative writing skills to the test!
Imagine a British person saying the name "Don" but replace the "d" with "sc".
Scone is not pronounced like the "o" in "zone" ;)

angela | the painted house said...

Thank you, Bonnie. And to hear you say "croissant" is divine. I try to imitate when I am ordering a croissan'wich at BK but not the same. :(

Natalie said...

I can't wait to use this recipe and pronounce "scone" as "scone!"

Anonymous said...

and I feel like my accent has been a little sloppy. I am trying to work on my eloquence - or more accurately the lack thereof - because I have to do a British voice over project for a studio. I don't realize how far I've "slid" "slode"
"sludden" until I hear myself! But just to be really accurate, I am not sure Angela if my pronunciation of the word "croissant" is truly British, or more an influence of all the French I took in school and college. Not talking about any "f-words" otherwise known as fettuccine, which is actually Italian....OK I AM DONE HERE.