Wednesday
Italian wedding soup with vegan meatballs and spinach
Spinach salad with toasted pecans, strawberry, kiwi, and raspberry vinaigrette
Oranges, green grapes, strawberries, kiwi
Warm, fresh homemade whole wheat bread
Veggie & grain loaf with quinoa, millet, basmati brown rice, zucchini, red peppers topped with cinnamony tomato sauce
Steamed broccoli
Whole wheat bread with margarine and honey
Snack
Banana-peanut butter shake
The soup was delish--smelled heavenly simmering. But I am still on my quest for a good go-to loaf. This one was a little weird. Ashton and Clayton both had seconds but I wasn't too impressed. I think it might be good with a little tweaking.
Thursday
B
Raspberry, banana, blueberry smoothie
L-Clayton's brown bag
Italian wedding soup
Hummus with carrot sticks and pita chips
Banana
Strawberries, blueberries, and green grapes
Fruit & nut Lara Bar
Blue corn tortilla soup with fresh tomatoes, avocado, lime and cilantro
Black bean tamales (from frozen) topped with salsa
Mango
The tortilla soup was spicy and delish as well! And easy. I returned home from Whole Foods by 5pm, started the soup, put groceries away, played hide-n-seek with the kids outside, and had dinner on the table by 6:30pm--still late for us but good considering I didn't come home until 5pm. For the soup: sauteed onions and red and green peppers (from frozen), then added minced fresh garlic, fresh corn from one ear, a carton of veggie broth, a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes drained, the juice of one half lime, some oregano, salt, cumin, half a serrano pepper, half a diced zucchini, a handful of chopped cilantro and maybe some chili powder (I can't remember). I then cut several blue corn tortillas into strips and toasted them until crisp in the oven. So flavorful and great with the tamales.
Friday
Eggplant sandwiches with tomato, onion, red leaf lettuce, and basil mayo
Spinach and red leaf lettuce salad with balsamic vinaigrette
Fresh pineapple, strawberries, and blueberries
D
Bean soup
Tomato-basil bread, toasted
Fresh pineapple, strawberries, and blueberries
Oh, man, the eggplant sandwiches were good. Clayton took one bite and declared them good enough to be put on the repeat dinner list. Ashton gobbled his down, too. I found vegan breaded sliced eggplant in the frozen section at Whole Foods yesterday so I just popped them in the oven to heat and the sandwich is as easy as that. I mixed vegan Vegenaise with onion and garlic powders and dried basil (fresh would be better) for the spread--YUM! And I used Panera Bread's tomato-basil bread. Our soup for dinner was from one of Clayton's coworkers. It was delicious and wonderful to not have to cook dinner.
Whew.
You?
2 comments:
Yummy!! I am going to look for those frozen eggplant slices next time I go to Whole Foods. Mike won't eat eggplant, but I love it. Let me know when you hit the vegan bread machine jackpot. I would love a good recipe that is tried and true. I don't have time to experiment with it!
We had some very yummy tacos tonight. We usually have tacos on Friday night, but we didn't last week (to my husband's extreme disappointment), and then Bonnie called tonight before I had started making dinner and asked if they could join us for tacos. I was so glad she did, because I didn't have all of the ingredients, so she brought over what we needed after a stop at the grocery store, and we all fixed the meal and ate together. It's good to have good friends!
Everything looks and sounds so good.
We've been good about eating pretty healthy lately, but tonight we had fast food. I can't even remember the last time I had a fast food hamburger, so I guess that's good! We had popcorn chicken from KFC as an "appetizer" driving to Harrison's baseball game (after dance class.) Then, we picked up McDonald's much later on the way home from the dance competition. I had a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Fries and a little hot fudge sundae thing. Not good for me, of course, but it tasted sooooooo good. It had really been a long time! Even when we do have fast food, which really isn't very often, I order grilled chicken sandwiches. But tonight I just FELT like a burger.
I feel pretty guilty about our late night fast food dinner in the car when I read about your wonderful and healthy home cooked meal at the table at a reasonable hour, but oh well, we can only do what we can do!
p.s. Harrison's team won their game 15 to 2 and he got the winning out when he was catcher at home plate and Jacob's dance group took platinum in their competition number, so all was good. The boys from Japan LOVED burgers, milkshakes and fries, even if they did eat them in the car at 9:30 p.m.! :)
Post a Comment