Sunday, March 02, 2008

Old Favorites

Clayton requested some of our regulars today--and I wasn't going to argue with the patient even though I planned to try some new recipes. That will be tomorrow.

L
Black bean soup with veggies
Salad with red leaf lettuce, green peppers, carrot, and corn with avocado-tomato dressing
Gina's homemade wheat bread
Apple & pear

D
Whole wheat spaghetti with marinara sauce
Salad with red leaf lettuce, celery, cucumber, carrot, red cabbage, shredded zucchini, and pinenuts with vinagrette dressing
Gina's homemade wheat bread
Fresh pineapple and red grapes

Gina came over this morning to help me out and brought a gorgeous loaf of handmade bread--no bread machine here! We all loved it--for snack I mixed natural peanut butter with honey and spread it on top with sliced bananas--OH YUM!

The dressing for lunch was one avocado, one tomato, and the juice of two limes in the blender. I also added salt, pepper, cumin, and garlic powder. It was a nice creamy and thick dressing to battle those ranch cravings.

The dressing for dinner was olive oil, red wine vinegar, juice of half a lemon, salt, pepper, garlic powder.

Another dressing I made for our lunch at chemo was toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, water, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, ginger, garlic powder. Sorry no measurements, but this dressing was DELICIOUS! I was sad when I finished my salad.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Your meals sure do sound delicious and look so wonderful.

I'll have to try those dressings. I use store bought bottles and they aren't usually very good.

We had a crazy busy weekend, so I didn't do much cooking.

Fri night I cooked, but I already told you about that.

Sat night we had friends over. We ordered pizza, but I made a big salad and we had lots of fruit to go with it. And a delicious apple cobbler thing that she made. (so much for watching the sugar!)

Sunday I was in charge a huge potluck for a big spirit rally at the kids' dance studio (in preparation for a big competition coming up). I made sure we had a good variety of hot foods, sandwiches, salads, fruits, desserts etc. With about 90 families bringing food, you wouldn't believe how much we had! (there were about 150 people eating.)

Since I was in charge (and worked ALL day from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. setting it up, serving it and cleaning up), I got to bring home a lot of leftovers, so I took enough for dinner for last night and tonight too! (and a bunch of fruit, veggies, etc. too)

Last night we had cheese tortellini, meat lasagne, breadsticks, melons and pineapple, and ass't cold veggies like carrot, celery, grape tomatoes and snap peas.

Tonight we have chicken taquitos (homemade), vegetable lumpia eggrolls (also homemade), sweet and sour meatballs and rice.

I'll get back to cooking tomorrow night b/c I was doing so well! I can't wait to try some of your vegan recipes.

Natalie said...

So glad Clayton feels like eating!

I'm so impressed by people who can make bread!

I started making the Seinfeld purees last night. Let you know how it goes with the actual recipe :)