Friday, March 14, 2008

Southern Goes Vegan

We took dinner to our friends tonight who just had a miscarriage. They asked us to stay and eat with them so it had to be vegan. They were good sports about it, but I did try to steer clear of any weird health foods. So I stuck to healthy versions of a few Southern favorites.

L
Black bean burgers with tomatillo sauce and tomatoes
Spinach and field green salad with red cabbage, carrots, cucumber, and avocado-lime dressing
Tortilla chips and guacamole and salsa
Leftover fruit salad from Thursday dinner

D
Potato soup with broccoli and cauliflower purees
Brown rice and spicy blackeyed peas
Garlicky steamed green beans
Spinach and field green salad with tomatoes, red cabbage, carrots, cucumber, sunflower seeds and balsamic vinaigrette dressing
Multi-grain bread and vegan margarine
Green grapes and strawberries
Apple-raspberry Crisp

I took the crisp over uncooked and baked it in their oven so it was ready as soon as we were done eating dinner. Hot and delicious! I think they were surprised by what vegan is. But we all missed how divine a scoop of vanilla would have been on that hot dessert.

You?

2 comments:

Carody said...

Ooo, that dinner sounds divine. I'm going to have to try that apple crisp, we love the warm yummy stuff for dessert!

I made burritos, Carody-style, for dinner tonight. Which basically means that I had the ingredients to make a somewhat presentable burrito, so I stuffed a tortilla full of them and made everyone eat them. Just kidding! Well, kind of. The boys were NOT thrilled with dinner tonight, but that just means they'll eat a really good breakfast tomorrow!

Okay, burritos. We had leftover sweet corn, a can of black beans, some taco meat (that I abstained from and didn't miss at all), and some shredded sharp cheddar. I warmed tortillas, stuffed them, rolled them, put them next to each other in the pan, and spread oil over them (whatever kind is handy). Then I put them into a cold oven and set the temp to 375 degrees and set the timer for 30 minutes. Yummy, crispy, and flavorful. We like Spanish Gardens taco sauce with them. :-)

Anonymous said...

We had grazed throughout the day with Caleb under the weather and our schedule off...so it was a very late dinner at 9:30 for us.

Angel hair pasta

vegetable tomato sauce & mozz on top -

I made extra of the sauce keeping veggies separate for a veganitarian (meaning I am using tofu instead of the cottage cheese, but still using an organic egg and mozzarella cheese) lasagna that I will make today...and freeze extra of.

The sauce:
veg. oil, garlic, onions, grated carrot, green bell pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes, oregano, salt & pepper.

Bonnie