Thursday, March 13, 2008

Taking a Break

And by "break" I mean spending less time in the kitchen today but still cooking. I am too lazy to load my photos tonight so I'm sorry.

L--brown bagging for Clayton
Tomato-basil soup
Spinach salad with carrots and zucchini with balsamic vinaigrette
Pita chips and hummus
Red grapes
Apple-Raspberry crisp

D
Pecan patties with tomato sauce
Bulghur wheat and flax pilaf with broccoli
Spinach and wild greens salad with strawberries, toasted walnuts, and raspberry dressing
Fruit salad with blueberries, green grapes, strawberries, and canned peaches

I pulled the patties out of the freezer from two weeks ago. They are better with the mushroom sauce but I guess I get points for trying something different. The bulghur was a first for all of us and many "vulgar" jokes abounded at the table tonight. Ashton said about the bulghur, "I kind of don't like this but it is still kind of good...a little bit bad and a little bit good." Okay.

You?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the freezer is your friend!

tonight was oh so easy, oh so yummy, and OH yeah, oh so vegan!

refried rice: seasoning: curry powder, turmeric, a few frozen peas, canned kernel corn...very yellow, but the flavour was amazing.

white beans with butter (you could use margarine) garlic powder, salt

avocado and tomatoes with lime juice, garlic powder & salt over a bed of fresh spinach.

Pretty on the plate as well as delish...and only about 10 minutes prep since I had made the rice before and only added the corn and refried together. The white beans were Caleb's idea, and went extremely well to my surprise (I usually would think of black beans with that type of dish)

Bonnie

Barbara said...

Both of your meals sound great.

I put a pretty good snack together after school for my kids and the friends they had over. (It was an early dismissal day b/c of parent teacher conferences, but we didn't have any conferences b/c they are only for the kids who have issues and, fortunately, ours are A students and have no learning or social issues. So we just had an afternoon off. (there are other conferences, goal setting ones, for everyone. these are just for the kids needing extra help.)

Anyway, for snack we had:

-canteloupe, honeydew, watermelon
-mini bagels, some with regular cream cheese, some with strawberry cream cheese
-pita chips w/hummus and spinach dip
-freshly baked chocolate chip cookies
-baby carrots

Yum!

Marlon made dinner b/c I had to take Harrison to his baseball game (and stay and watch it) and Michela had softball practice. jacob had down time at home. We didn't get home til 7:45, so he was in charge of dinner.

We had:

hot dogs (I know, not the most healthy, but we hadn't had them in long time and they were the 98% fat free kind)
-mac and cheese from a box
-green beans from a can
-baked beans from a can
-more melon
-milk to drink, leftover cookies for dessert