Saturday, March 29, 2008

Cocooning

We stayed in today during the drizzly weather. Clayton rested most of the morning; and other than my cooking and subsequent cleaning, the day was lazy.

B
French toast with cinnamon raisin bread
Home fries with onion, red pepper, garlic, and soy sausage crumbles
Oranges
Orange, strawberry, banana, flax seed smoothie

L
Layered bean dip (refried black beans, spicy rice, salsa, and pico de gallo)
Guacamole on red leaf lettuce
Crispy baked tortilla wedges
Mango and banana

D
For kids:
Hummus sandwiches with tomato and spinach
Green beans
For me & Clayton:
Eggplant sandwiches with tomato, onion, and red leaf lettuce and basil spread
Spinach and red leaf lettuce salad with balsamic vinaigrette
Black bean soup from Panera Bread
Apple-raspberry crisp fresh from the oven

I can't believe I ate the rest of the day after that breakfast...but I did. Friend Erin gave me a recipe for french toast using a batter made from cashews, dates, and orange juice. Yum! I'll have to post it.

Clayton wanted those eggplant sandwiches again--and I wasn't going to argue with him if he is excited about eating (since nothing tastes right on chemo).

I did make a batch of granola today, too, that now resides in the garbage. Oh, it makes me so mad! What a waste of good ingredients. The recipe states three cycles of 20 minutes in the oven for a total of 60 minutes--mine burned by the end of 40 minutes. UGH.

You?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those eggplant Sandwiches did sound very good by the way! I usually make mine from scratch, slicing, batter dipping, frying etc. yummy but so time consuming, I will have to check those out!

Today I made delicious Ratatouille! Served with rice and avocado, tomato, cress salad with homemade oil & vinaigrette dressing. My mother in law had come over and I was able to send her home with a late lunch too as well as carrot cake that I had in the freezer. After all that bed rest, I am glad she could see I do normally cook for her son!

The collards...very strangely for a vegetable - the more life that is cooked out of them the better. Seriously like 30 minutes - chopped in 1" pieces - in a big pot with some water and salt or vegetable or chicken stock. It takes a long time for their particular greenery to break down and become soft and more digestible. You might try slicing them thinly and sneaking them into some soup...that is how I get Kale into Caleb! Collards he will eat with ranch dressing on the side. We had a health freak friend back in TN who would blend "raw" dark leafy greens - kale, cabbage etc, into a green drink with sunflower seeds. Whew!! but he was really healthy.

The Buckwheat Brazil nut patties are good many different ways...with tomato sauce, ketchup, white sauce, or even crumbled up with fried potatoes for a breakfast...They can become a little dry if you bake them too long, but try to get both sides to brown for the light browned crispy effect. I add more nuts than my mother's original recipe calls for and the roasty almost veggie bacon flavour is excellent.

- 3 c. pre-cooked buckwheat (it absorbs a lot of water, I usually have extra of the buckwheat and freeze it for next time)
- about 2 c. mashed potatoes (you are looking for good consistency here.)
- 1 c. roasted Brazil nuts chopped very fine or ground coarsely (I usually pre-roast them in the oven for about 8 minutes, but watch carefully so they don't burn)
- 1/4 c. grated onion
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp sage (optional)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp salt OR to taste...depends if your mashed potatoes have salt etc.
Mix really well and Shape into 3 1/2" patties
Bake on oiled sheet @ 375 degrees F - 20 minutes on one side, turn and bake another 20 minutes on other side to lightly brown.
Although I haven't experimented with it yet, I think these would also be good maybe with some bread crumbs.

This recipe is the basis for a number of different vegan burger variations my mother used to make...barley burgers, oat burgers, millet pumpkin seed burgers, parsnip cashew patties, carrot rice patties...obviously you use a different grain, and sometimes there are bread crumbs instead of potatoes or grated potatoes instead of mashed, or different nuts, sometimes the seasoning changes...let me know if you want to try the others and I will see if I can find the recipe.
Caleb's and my favourites are the Parsnip Cashew and the Buckwheat Brazil nut.

Bonnie

Barbara said...

You two put the rest of us to shame! Bonnie just a couple of weeks away from having a baby and Angela taking care of Clayton and 3 little ones and you're both still cooking away. I, on the other hand, have three older kids, everyone perfectly healthy (thank god) and still don't have half as much time to cook as the two of you! Something wrong with this picture. Maybe if we weren't running around to so many baseball and softball games, dance competitions and theater rehearsals...

Oh well!

Anyway, tonight we ventured to a local Japanese buffet called Hokkaido, in honor of our little Japanese students. It was really good. Some familiar things, some very different that most of us tried.

We all enjoyed it.

Tomorrow I promised them good old fashioned American food, so we're off to Islands or Ruby's!

I'll cook again next week.

Anonymous said...

Barbara, you sound so busy though, taxiing so many people around and taking in extra children all the time...that would be very time consuming!

Although I did cook Sat, we have eaten out a few times this weekend...pancakes this morning, chipotle for dinner - (sonic sandwiches for dinner yesterday :( not my fav.,) especially not great after that fresh healthy Ratatouille we had enjoyed for lunching.

Onto more healthy things now...

Oh, not to make you sick or anything Barbara, but I have a huge pot of corn chowder cooling on the stove, and blueberry muffins in the oven - oh the house smells so good!!!
And although I do enjoy the art side of cooking - Really the main reason I have been doing so much extra batches and cooking since I have been let off bed rest - has been to fill my freezer - so I don't have to think about meals when the baby comes. I know the convenience will come in handy when we don't feel like going anywhere and when I am not up to cooking!

Bonnie