Monday, March 24, 2008

Oh, So Good!

I cooked with seitan today--a fancy way to say "gluten" to all you Adventists. I didn't make it from scratch but bought it at Whole Foods.

L
Seitan and pepper fajitas
Brown rice and black beans with carrots and salsa
Fried yucca
Guacamole and pico de gallo

D
Leftovers
Broccoli-carrot slaw over spinach salad
Fruit salad with canned peaches, blueberries, strawberries, and green grapes

No one talked during lunch except for "mmms" and "yummies." I marinated the seitan, onions, and red and green peppers in lemon juice, cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder for two hours or so. Then I sauteed them in safflower oil and snuggled them in a red chili flour tortilla. The yucca was another treat today--since we are hardly ever frying anything anymore. Ashton kept saying how much he loved lunch. Yea, a winner!

I tried these carrot-apple muffins today--good and sweet!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

You sure make everything look and sound delicious!

We've been eating out, but I hope to cook tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

looks like you are back in your fabulous groove!

We had...
- Angel hair pasta with vegetable marinara sauce & grated mozzarella
- sauteed red cabbage with a little butter and salt
- organic dark chocolate chip maple walnut cookies and organic milk

Haven't cut the sugar entirely, but being more aware of it, have found a number of other ways to sweeten, fruit, maple syrup...just cream in coffee etc.

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

The cookies come from the recipe book, "Search for the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie". Don't know how they would work with carob chips.

Bonnie

Barbara said...

I cooked tonight! Yay!

-chicken sauteed with some olive oil and then a bottled asian type sauce, mixed with pineapples and cashews
-rice (white for everyone else, brown for me!)
-broccoli
-canteloupe and blueberries
-whole grain bread with butter and honey