Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter, But No Special Dinner

I feel like I am trying to regain my cooking momentum since my return from Texas. So since I have been feeling kind of in a funk (it's chemo weekend, that's why), there was no grand Easter dinner spread. But we still ate well.

L
Hummus sandwiches on fresh-from-the-breadmaker whole wheat bread with tomatoes, red onion, spinach, and red leaf lettuce
Spinach and red leaf lettuce salad with toasted sesame dressing
Kiwi and strawberries
Carob-peanut butter cookies

D
Italian bean and potato soup with zucchini and tomatoes
Warm whole wheat bread
Mango, blueberries, and apple

Bedtime snack
Peanut butter, almond butter, banana shake

The carob cookies were a disappointment; although, Ashton and Cristal like them. The carob chips hardened on the bottom of the cookie to produce an unsatisfactory texture. The flavor is good but I can't stand the consistency of the carob chips. The hummus sandwiches were especially delicious today--I don't know why (maybe the fresh baked bread). Just a simple hummus sandwich. The soup received high marks from my peeps. And, especially important given chemo week, Clayton was able to eat!

You?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about funk, but that all looks pretty good!

We had Easter dinner at C's Grandmother's house with everyone's usual perfected dishes of what they typically bring every year. This year I brought a yummy fruit salad...the same kind I made for friends over the weekend as well.

All soft juicy fruits and delish:

Fresh strawberries, bananas, blood oranges, regular oranges, red grapes, and canned pineapple with the juice.

Our favourite dinner highlight recently were the veggies I served along side grilled salmon.

- Baby gourmet squash (the little round flat yellow and green ones) roasted in the oven with a little oil and salt and onion pieces. Then when they came out, I drizzled an oil and vinegar herb seasoned marinade over them.

- Fingerling potatoes - roasted in the oven with a oil and salt. All so fresh and yummy. Caleb enjoyed the veggies very much too and said something about entertaining our palettes. Both were ideas I took away with me from a catered event a few months ago.

Bonnie